Sunday, October 31, 2010

Invictus and Shame

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" - Invictus, by W.E.Henley (1875)


There are sports movies and then there are sports movies. There was 'Remember the Titans' and now there is 'Invictus'.

Today this space is dedicated to Invictus. The experience of this movie has been the most subduing in recent times. The manner in which the story of how a nation united over rugby and the role Mandela and Pienaar played  in bringing that about is truly awe-inspiring. The coming out from the darkness of conflict from the verge of civil war, to a nation united despite of severe prejudices is what a good inspirational story is all about. The sequence when the South African rugby team, the 'Springboks', actually won the world cup moved me to tears, not a torrent but yes there was moisture.

It was more so because it reminded me of the emotions I felt when the Indian Cricket  team had won the T20 WC in 2007. The raw emotions that had spilled out then made me identify what the South Africans felt. Now, that was about the movie, and I raise a toast to Clint Eastwood who never ceases to amaze me with the quality of cinema he creates...a true legend. That is the very reason why caps go around in Hollywood circles with "Think like Clint!" imprinted on them. :)

In the perspective, I felt personal shame after reading the morning paper today. In the editorial there was a piece with the pictures of two young men, one American and the other Indian, with the caption "identify the victim!" My choice gravitated to the Indian boy. However, I felt a tingle of shame when upon reading the piece I discovered that it was the Indian boy who had abetted the suicide of the other kid. :( It makes me wonder that when we are the perpetrators of wrong-doings abroad why doesn't the media report that?

Well, today's post is heavy and I shall let it remain at that...mirth is missing today!

Cheers    

1 comment:

  1. yeah...Unity in diversity....Invictus is a nice movie...

    ReplyDelete